DIY Rustic Hat Box Wedding Card Holder
Are you getting married and having a rustic wedding? Then you’ll love this beautiful card box I made for my own country style reception! With it’s simple design, the combination of burlap, wood, flowers, and lace make a lovely décor statement on your gift table. You can coordinate your card box to perfectly match your theme and colors for any type of party where cards were collected.
I wanted a rustic theme, so I used a wooden heart with our initials burned on it! Can’t get any more rustic than that!
When you open up the box, there is ample room for lots of cards!
I didn’t finish off the inside because no one would ever see it, but you could if you wanted to.
Didn’t it turn out lovely?
If you would like to make one like this, check out my full tutorial below!
DIY Rustic Hat Box Wedding Card Holder – Tutorial
Tools & Supplies:
- Large Paper Mache Hat Box (you can find them at many craft stores) Note: We used an old hat box and covered the outside only with plain brown wrapping paper from the Dollar Tree. No one will ever see the inside except when you open the box to remove the cards!
- Exact-O Knife (to cut a slit in the hat box)
- Burlap Flower approx. 4in diameter (bought at any craft store or you can get one HERE)
- Wooden Cut-Out Heart approx. 3in diameter (bought at any craft store or you can get one HERE)
- Wood Burner Tool (bought at any craft store or you can get one HERE)
- Wide Piece of Burlap, Ribbon and/or Lace to wrap around the hat box (I used a 3 1/2in wide piece of burlap ribbon that came with a strip of white lace lying on top of it) Get enough to completely wrap around the hat box once with a couple inches to spare.
- Assorted Faux Flowers – (I used faux flowers but you could use real ones also)
- Floral Tape
- Various Ribbon and/or Lace of your choice to tie around and dangle from the stem of the bouquet of flowers (anywhere from 1/4in to 1in wide) I used 3 different pieces, all at different lengths varying from 20inches to 40 inches. You’ll also need a 4th piece of ribbon or lace, enough to completely wrap around the whole stem of the bouquet to conceal it.
- Hot Glue Gun
- Wire Cutters ( not shown)
Picture of Supplies:
- Large Paper Mache Hat Box
2. Exact-O Knife
3. Burlap Flower
4. Wooden Cut-Out Heart
5. Wood Burner Tool
6. Wide Piece of Burlap, Ribbon and/or Lace
7. Assorted Faux Flowers
8. Floral Tape
10. Various Ribbon and/or Lace of your choice
11. Hot Glue Gun
Decorating the Hat Box :
I used an old hat box that was lying around and covered it with some brown paper wrapping paper. If you want to make it much easier on yourself, buy a paper mache hatbox like the one below. It will save you a LOT of time!
With the exact-O knife, cut a slit approx. 8 inches long and 1/4in wide. Make sure to leave room to place your flower arrangement on top so that the flowers won’t be covering the slit. I learned the hard way and had to recover the top of my box again with paper. Ugh!
Hot glue the wide ribbon around the circumference of the hat box. Make sure to leave room at the top for the lid.
I simply overlapped the two ends of the ribbon on the back, since you’ll never see it.
With the wood burner, burn the initials of the couple getting married onto the wood heart. You could even stencil them on and it would be cute too!
Hot glue the heart to the burlap flower, then glue the whole thing onto the front of the hat box.
Arranging the Bouquet:
Gather the flowers and cut the stems to the length you want them when they lay across the top of the hat box.
Connect the stems into one by wrapping floral tape around them.
Wrap the entire stem with a piece of decorative ribbon to conceal it, then tie on various lengths of of ribbon around the stem and let them dangle
Now place the flowers on top of the hat box. You can either secure the flowers with a little hot glue, or just let them sit. I did the latter.
Be sure to check out my other DIY wedding ideas Here
DIY Rustic Hat Box Wedding Card Holder
Sharing at these great link parties:
Busy Monday. Inspire Me Tuesday. The Hearth & Soul. Metamorphosis Monday. All About Home. Follow the Yellow Brick Home. You’re the Star. Inspire Me Monday. Inspire Me Monday. Wonderful Wednesday. Creative Muster Party. Wow Me Wednesday. Your Whims Wednesday. Tuesday Turn About. Tuesdays with a Twist. Wonderful Wednesday. Creative Crafts. To Grandma’s House We Go. Centerpiece Wednesday. Vintage Charm Party.
More great link parties I’m sharing at:
Thinking Out Loud Thursday. Homestead Blog Hop. Party in Your PJs. Artsy Fartsy Party. Thursday Favorite Things. Grace at Home. Keep in Touch. Encouraging Hearts and Home. Celebrate Your Story. Funtastic Friday. Friday Favorites. Farmhouse Friday. Funky Junk’s Party. Happy Pink Saturday. Home Matters. Friday With Friends. Dare to Share. Saturday Sparks. Create, Bake, Grow & Gather. A Morning Cup of Joe! Farmhouse Friday. Happiness is Homemade. Inspire Me Monday. Love Your Creativity. Sundays on Silverado.