DIY Rustic Wooden Christmas Sled-Video
DIY Rustic Wooden Christmas Sled
When I think of Christmas, I think of icicles, warm woolen mittens, and fun snowy days. This adorable, rustic sled embodies everything I remember as a child at Christmas time.
Can you believe I had this project finished and leaning up against my porch railing (looking AWESOME) in just a couple of hours? It was a cinch to make!
DIY Rustic Wooden Christmas Sled Tutorial
Tools & Supplies:
- Spade bit (same diameter as rope)
- Box of 1 1/4in long wood screws at
- Chop saw
- Tape measure
- Hand drill with bits
- Three 1×6 fence pickets cut to 2ft 6in (body of sled)-You can always use regular 1x6s, then dogear the ends
- Two 1x3s cut to 1ft 4 1/2in (body braces)
- Two 2x4s cut to 4ft (runners)
- Rope at 6ft long
- Matte acrylic paint & paintbrush (I used red paint for the runners and white for the rest)
- My cheap DIY old wood stain (to make new wood look old)
- Christmas wreath, bow, or greenery to decorate with. I bought a pine branch from Michaels and made a bow to go with it. You could, instead, add a pre-made wreath!
Pictures of Supplies:
Note: Numbers above pictures shown below correspond to supplies listed above.
1. Three 1×6 fence pickets cut to 2ft 6in. (Body of Sled)
2. Two 1x3s cut to 1ft 4 1/2in (body braces)
3. Two 2x4s cut to 4ft (runners)
4. Rope at 6ft long
5. Matte acrylic paint & paintbrush (I used red paint for the runners and white for the rest)
6. My cheap DIY old wood stain (to make new wood look old)
Cutting and Staining/Painting the Wood:
First, using the chop saw, cut a 45 degree angle on both ends of the 2x4s.
Next, stain all the wood with my DIY old wood stain.
Now, paint all the wood pieces. I wanted my sled to look like the paint was old and weathered so I dry-brushed mine. To do this simply dip the tip of the paintbrush into some paint, then dab off the excess before applying.
Simply drag your brush across the wood, leaving all the holes and crevices unpainted.
I painted my runners red and the rest of the sled white.
Assembling the Sled:
First, lay out the body pieces of the sled. For more contrast I off-centered the middle piece a couple of inches.
Next, center out the body braces where you want them and screw together. I left approx. 13in between the braces.
To avoid the wood from shifting, add at least two screws per fence picket.
Last, align the sled body onto the runners and screw it all together.
Attaching the Rope:
First, with the spade bit, drill a hole in the top of the runners to fit the rope through
Next, slide rope ends through holes and make a knot
Adding the Bow and Greenery:
Add a pretty bow, wreath, or greenery by either hot gluing it on, or wiring it on with floral wire. Easy peasy!
I wired mine on, twisting the wire firmly on the back of the middle picket to make my bow and greenery secure
Beautiful! Merry Christmas!
Feel free to comment! I love to hear from you!
DIY Rustic Wooden Christmas Sled
Sharing at these great link parties:
Busy Monday – Inspire Me Tuesday – The Hearth & Soul – Metamorphosis Monday – All About Home – Follow the Yellow Brick Home – You’re the Star – Inspire Me Monday – Little Cottage Link Party – Inspire Me Monday – Wonderful Wednesday – Creative Muster Party – Wow Me Wednesday – Your Whims Wednesday – Tuesday Turn About – Homestead Blog Hop – Tuesdays with a Twist – Charming Homes & Gardens – Share Your Style – To Grandma’s House We Go – Vintage Charm Party
More great link parties I’m sharing at:
Thinking Out Loud Thursday _ Waste Not Wednesday – Party in Your PJs – Thursday Favorite Things – Grace at Home – Keep in Touch – Friday Favorites – Funtastic Friday – Funtastic Friday – Friday at the Fire Station – Flaunt it Friday – Happy Pink Saturday – Saturday Sparks – Create, Bake, Grow & Gather – A Morning Cup of Joe! – Farmhouse Friday – Happiness is Homemade – Silver Pennies Sunday – Snickerdoodle Create Bake Make – Over the Moon – Inspire Me Monday – Love Your Creativity