When I think of Christmas, I think of icicles, warm woolen mittens, and fun snowy days. This adorable, rustic sled embodies everything I remember as a child at Christmas time.
Can you believe I had this project finished and leaning up against my porch railing (looking AWESOME) in just a couple of hours? It was a cinch to make!
- Spade bit (same diameter as rope)
- Box of 1 1/4in long wood screws at
- Chop saw
- Tape measure
- Hand drill with bits
- Christmas wreath, bow, or greenery to decorate with (you can either hot glue or wire it on)
- Three 1×6 fence pickets cut to 2ft 6in (body of sled)-You can always use regular 1x6s, then dogear the ends
- Two 1x3s cut to 1ft 4 1/2in (body braces)
- Two 2x4s cut to 4ft (runners)
- Rope at 6ft long
- Matte acrylic paint & paintbrush (I used red paint for the runners and white for the rest)
- My cheap DIY old wood stain (to make new wood look old)
Using the chop saw, cut a 45 degree angle on both ends of the 2x4s
Stain all the wood with my DIY old wood stain
Paint all the wood pieces. I wanted my sled to look like the paint was old and weathered so I dry-brushed mine. To do this simply dip the tip of the paintbrush into some paint, then dab off the excess before applying.
Simply drag your brush across the wood, leaving all the holes and crevices unpainted.
I painted my runners red and the rest of the sled white
Lay out the body pieces of the sled. For more contrast I off-centered the middle piece a couple of inches.
Center out the body braces where you want them and screw together. I left approx. 13in between the braces.
To avoid the wood from shifting, add at least two screws per fence picket
Align the sled body onto the runners and screw it all together
With the spade bit, drill a hole in the top of the runners to fit the rope through
Slide rope ends through holes and make a knot
Add a pretty bow, wreath, or greenery by either hot gluing it on, or wiring it on with floral wire
I wired mine on, twisting the wire firmly on the back of the middle picket to make my bow and greenery secure
Beautiful! Merry Christmas!