As simple as it is, this sweet patriotic banner turned out spectacular! It was very cheap and easy to make as well as you only need some burlap and a few mini flags. The burlap gives it that wonderful rustic, vintage look and it brightens up any part of you house that needs a little patriotic spirit. This can also be a ‘sew’ or ‘no sew’ project as well, which is definitely a huge bonus!
Come on ‘lil’ Tink, stand at attention!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE new members!! Get my latest posts like this one, plus access to my ‘members only’ area by subscribing here for free! It’s easy and you can unsubscribe at anytime! 😉
DIY Patriotic American Flag Banner with Burlap Tutorial
- Sewing machine or hot glue gun (to attach flags)
- Jute string
- Red and blue acrylic paint
- Paint sponge applicators for stenciling
- Star Stencil (I bought mine at Michael’s but you can also get it HERE)
- Small cotton fabric flags (approx. 4×6 inches) I bought mine at Joanne’s during 4th of July season but any craft store, party store or Walmart should have them. You can also buy them HERE.
- Burlap Fabric approx. 1/2 yard (cut triangles out the same length and width as your flags)
For a more ‘worn’ look, you can soak your flags in some tea for a few hours and lay them out flat to dry.
Lay out your flags and burlap in the order that you want them. Place the string along the edge of flags and triangles, leaving a 3/4 inch margin at the top
Fold the flap over the string
If you are using a sewing machine, pin to secure
Now secure the flaps down either with a hot glue gun or sewing machine. I like sliding my flags around for adjusting, so I make sure to stay away from the string so as not to attach it permanently to the flag.
Gather your paint and paint applicator. I use a paper plate to squeeze a dollop of paint onto and then dab the excess off with my sponge applicator.
Place your stencil where you want your star and sponge on the paint. I placed a paper towel underneath my flag to avoid a mess.
Now let it dry and go hang it up!! Beautiful!
Happy 4th of July!
Not a member yet? You’re missing out!!!
Get future posts like this one by subscribing here for free.
DIY Patriotic American Flag Banner with Burlap